Sunday, October 01, 2006

Rude Awakening

This time last week i was happily Blogging about the ball. This time last week i was ecstatic and carefree as it was the beginning of the week-long holidays and i handed out an assignment early. Tonight, today, its back to reality.

1. Uncompleted assignment due tomorrow
2. I'm coughing and my nose is runnning away
3. So shitted. Put off writing resume for 3 (THREE) weeks already! My future is looking dim, not very bright at all... And it looks like i am not shortlisted for the CPA internship, the only internship i applied for. Sigh.

Study Partner got an email from Singapore, informing her that she was shortlisted. They'd be calling her for a 10 minute phone interview sometime this week. Lucky girl. I was right with her when she read the email. And i checked mine. Nothing. Remembered that i used a different more formal email add to apply for the internship. Checked that one. Nothing

She's gonna go so much further in life than me. And so much faster. I'm i'm... i'm... i don't know! She tried to help me. But i'm such a lazy bum. Only wrote 100 words when the word limit is 500. She wrote 496 words or something like that! Impressive shit!

Accounting Issues lecturer said to us "If u earn only RM10,000 in ten years time, don't come and see me". Implying that if we earn RM10,000 by the time we're 30 years old, its no where near good enough!? What the?!?

As accounting students, we are supposed to climb the damned corporate ladder. Will i ever make it up or will i slide down the snakes?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, dont go for internship la then. Do something else la during the hols, like ur preparation for going aust, and maybe find a work that is related to public communication, and hone ur communication skills

Anonymous said...

aiyah.. yalor.. rest and play more lar.. u scared no chance to work meh? after uni work whole life ler.. i work 4 years only like 40 yrs ady... *vomit*..

about corporate ladder, can choose not to climb one :) unless u like working or u wanna be a workaholic.. hehe...

Sue Lin said...

Mas, last night i would insist i have to although i don't want to. But today, i don't want to anymore...

Bea, you're right. But have to get up that ladder to earn big bucks right??? I heard u are in accounting too! I'll get ur msn add from ur sis, wanna talk to ya, that ok right? =)

Anonymous said...

yah.. no probs...

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Have you sought career counselling? I think it is imperative that you know options and what is open to you.

An internship definitely helps. It assists in giving a true picture of the workplace. You should seriously try to find one. I feel it is important. However, in the end, it is entire up to you.


I got an accounting/information systems degree a decade ago and there were many many paths open but I wasn't able to realise some of them as I wasn't prepared.

By the way, don't feel discouraged. I'm sure you will find something.

Sue Lin said...

Hey, Chuang Shyue Chou, don't know if you would see this but i am always happy to receive email notifying me that u commented! =)

Yeah, tried career counselling, they are all too general.

I know i will find something, but will it be with good pay? And would i love the work? These are some of the things that bother me

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

That is why an internship is important. I was sheltered by my parents for many years and when I first entered the workforce years ago, it was some what of a system shock for me. That's why I do heavily recommend that you find an internship to see if that is what you want to do for the rest of your life. Secondly, find friends who have been accountants. 'Force'them to tell you what it is like. Search out your seniors and alumni and so forth. Find out! I was not 'career-smart' in that sense.

I did not practise as an accountant. Instead, I went into the IT industry as an analyst and then project manager later.

Will you want the life of an auditor? A life of a corporate accountant? Can you put up with the hours? Is a CPA necessary? Or is it better to get a CFA instead? These are questions you have to ask yourself. And also, where will you work? In Singapore where the pay can be double that of Malaysia? In Australia where life is nice? In Malaysia where you are close to your parents? Decisions decisions.

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

Thanks for your kind words. I do try to leave useful, friendly or humourous comments if I can.

Sue Lin said...

Hey Chuang Shyue Chou, thanks again!

Actually, i already know a lot from my Financial Accounting Issues lecturer and what i hear from senior friends.

I know i don't like auditing from the way the subject AFW3041 Auditing and Assurance is. I know i would hate the hours!

But what i didn't realize until lately is that it is all a trade-off. Everything in life has opportunity costs right? I'll have to make a choice as much as i hate to.

Will be trying to find work in Australia, employees are treated better there. The law is more developed...

Second choice will be Malaysia, Singapore is too stressful for me lar, all so kiasu, i also very kiasu but i am no match for u people! Haha